Thai legal marriage procedure

The legal registration Process of a marriage in Thailand is not as hard as most companies would wish you to believe. OK, so it is not that simple either.

We will include free the legal marriage registration for your wedding, if booked before the end of the year. You only need get your embassy affidavits signed and we will do the rest, and register you in Chiang Mai. As our wedding present to you!

The Thai government does require that certain Thai Legal Requirements to legally Marry here. However with our assistance that process can be painless and waste as little of your all too rare and valuable vacation time as possible.

We take the hassles and headaches out of registering your marriage in Thailand.
Firstly for each country of nationality, there are different requirements that must be met before your embassy will provide you a sworn affidavit stating your legally marry under Thai law.

signing a thai marriage certificate

The basic legal process is as follows:

Firstly, you both need to meet these basic qualifications in order to marry under Thai law. As stated here: Thai Legal Requirements to Marry.

Secondly, you must go in person to your embassy or consulate in THAILAND and attain a sworn affidavit stating that you are in fact legally allowed to marry under Thai law. This takes normally about 30 minutes in the embassy office. (See our sister site for you countries ROUGH requirements: Embassy Requirements to marry in Thailand)

Then in Many cases assuming you have 4 working days (Monday through Friday except holidays), The embassy stamped affidavits are handed to us in Chiang Mai or our man in Bangkok. The Thai paperwork that must be done before your register your marriage, but not required have the actual ceremony.

On the weekday of your choice we will take you to the registry office and expiate the legal registration of your marriage in Thailand. It can be that painless with this part taking another 30 -45 minutes.

You will also be provided with a English translation of your marriage certificate, stamped by the translator which is all most couples require for any name changes (if desired) in most countries including USA, Canada, UK, Australia, etc

We will discuss the personal requirements and process for each couple depending on their nationalities. Also we arrange many mixed nationality and couples from different countries, so we have learned a lot over the years.

That is the basics!

Please note: Many of our couples need not even go to Bangkok at all, to legally register their marriage in Thailand. It depends on their nationalities! For example American, Canadians, British, Indian, Swedish and Chinese couples need never go to Bangkok if they intend to marry in Chiang Mai, with some planning and the help of our expert legal paper co origination! It will take at least 4 working days to process the papers before registration is possible.

For a rough list of your embassy requirements to issue affidavits so you may marry see – .

If you want us to make your legal registration of your marriage as easy as can be, we can help. Just ask me.

What is required for getting married in Thailand, the legal requirements.
Marriage Registration Requirements As provide by the Thai Registrar Office



1. A couple must be of legal age (17 years) upon filing for marriage registration, otherwise permission must be granted by a court.(Your local Embassy will not issue a affidavit if your not of legal age in your country.) **

2. Permission from the parents (most amphurs will require their presence) is required for parties under Thai legal age.

3. Both parties must not be registered as married to anyone else (Multiple marriage registration is prohibited in Thailand).

4. The parties must not be direct blood relatives nor be sister or brother through either parent.

5. Adopting parents shall not be permitted to marry their own adopted child.

6. A widow or divorcee will be permitted to remarry not less than 310 days after the previous marriage has expired, unless she

Has given birth to a child. …….or is
Remarrying the same person……..or is
Not pregnant, as certified by doctor. (in case of early remarriage)…….or an
Approval to remarry from a court is obtained.

No service fee is required whatsoever. (But the couple is expected to pay for copies and such costs about 55 Baht)
Required Documents
Thai Nationals

Identification Cards of both parties.

The House Registration Certificates of both parties.


If an alien is registering to be married to a Thai citizen or another alien, he or she is required to submit following documents.

A copy of their passport.

Be prepared to show original divorce decree, or spouce death certificate if applicable.

A Letter of Certification in English, issued by an Embassy or Consulate in Thailand , regarding the marital status of the person. The Letter must be translated to Thai , then certified by the relevant Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
(Most consulates require original proof of divorce (not a copy) if you where previously married.)


Marriage registration can be filed at any District Office or Minor District Office nationwide regardless of the birthplace of the couple.

Once the marriage registration is completed, each party will be given a copy of the Marriage Registration Certificate as evidence.

If the marriage registration is filed at the District Office located in female’s birthplace (where the name is registered on the House Registration Certificate), the title used with the forename and the last name of the female will be changed by the District Officer. The female is required to file for a new Identification Card within 60 days. A service fee of 10 Baht is required. If the marriage is registered elsewhere, the female is required to contact the local District Office to change her name and last name, as well as filing for a new Identification Card.

If both parties are unable to file for marriage at any District Office of Minor District Office, the couple can submit a request to the Registrar to register their marriage at any location under the supervision of that District Office. The parties filing for marriage are required to provide transportation for the Registrar. A service fee is required by the ministry. **This is not normally available

** Please note we do not do wedding registration of couples under 20 years of age without both parents present. even then we need lots of advance notice.